Friday, April 22, 2011

Maundy Thursday and Dancer.

We attended a Maundy Thursday service last night at church. In case you don't know (because I didn't) Maundy means “mandate”, and this is the observance and memorial of Jesus’ institution of the meal we still share together as the Body of Christ, and his commandment- his mandate- given after washing his disciple’s feet, which says: “I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.” (John 13:15) 

Just as I have done to you, so you must do. He then goes on to say how no servant is greater than his master. Jesus is clear in saying that he has set an example not just that his disciples would see it and move along, but they, we, would follow and imitate his example. That we would do just as he did.

One of the things that struck me most last night was the fact that Jesus washed Judas’ feet, as well. He didn’t skip the betrayer. He didn’t even qualify his mandate to the "good" disciples to say, “Do what I have done…except Judas will leave and betray me so don’t worry about that guy.” Let's not forget the "good" disciples turn out not so good only a few hours later. Peter would deny him and they would all scatter out of fear and disbelief, as he was nailed to a cross for even their sins. This is truly a difficult command, one that brings us to the end of ourselves and that challenges our sense of entitlement and opinions of who is deserving.

I feel thankful that just a few weeks ago, the Lord brought this reality home for me. City Team is one of the ministries that our church serves. The organization wears lots of hats, but generally, they serve the poor and marginalized of San Francisco through substance abuse recovery, serving meals, and providing clothing and any other resources they can. 

On Saturdays, one of their ministries is foot washing. Folks can come in off the streets and have their feet washed, soaked, massaged, lotioned, powdered, and finished off with a new pair of socks. Throughout that process, the foot-washers gets the privilege of hearing life stories, praying for their “clients”, and making a pretty intimate relational connection. The intent of the foot-washing ministry is to meet a tangible need of many people whose feet are hurting, sore, and dirty from always walking and being outside; but I think more obviously and significantly, the heart of the ministry is to follow Jesus’ example.

So, Matt and I spent our time with City Team a few weeks ago washing feet. It was beautiful, really. But I’ll get to my real point. 

I washed three men’s feet. The third man’s name was “Dancer”. He cut in line to get his feet washed, but somehow got away with it, so there he sat in my chair. Over the forty-five minutes we spent together, he shared with me how he been to jail for beating up his girlfriend and stabbing someone. He explained how he will never leave San Francisco because he can get SO much free stuff…how he doesn’t even need most of it…how he takes food and toiletries from City Team but has more than enough in the residential hotel room he lives in. He explained how he and his girlfriend have a crack habit and how he would dump her because she’s selfish, but then he’d be lonely. I didn’t like Dancer. To be completely honest and blunt about it, I was disgusted by him and there I was washing his feet, rubbing lotion on them, powdering them, right before he tried to take an extra pair of socks when everyone else only got one. Something that felt righteous in me did not want to be washing Dancer’s feet. Something in me told me he didn’t deserve it. No, I didn’t like Dancer and I wanted to excuse him from the foot-washing station and my presence. 

But then I remembered that I follow Jesus, who though none were deserving, not one, he kept himself on the cross for the sake of the greedy, murderous, idolatrous, deceitful, and rebellious world.

“Truly, truly I say to you, no servant is greater than his master…” John 13:16

This mandate of Jesus is difficult, but it is beautiful, it sets us free, and it is His Way. It is the way of undeserved grace, mercy, and service, and pure, true, and radical humility. Oh, to become more like him.  

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS. Thanks for sharing this Lee. I am continually humbled by your following Jesus' example. And also admire the way you bring people to the foot of the cross- both those you love and have a hard time loving. Thanks for doing that in my life. And even Dancers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete